Saturday, September 11, 2010

Do We Care About Justin Bieber?

This week in class, a student brought up a point about news on the internet. She stated that it's pathetic that a majority of the news we receive is about celebrities, instead of more important current events.  As a result of this, I went on the popular news site, msnbc.com, and found stories on Kate Gosselin, Britney Spears, and Oprah Winfrey. One particular story that caught my eye was on teen singer Justin Bieber, who apparently pelted a water balloon at a state trooper while fooling around back stage. The link for the story is here: Justin Bieber.
My first thought after reading this article was: "Why do I care?" Kids where I live do stuff like this all the time. Now, if Justin Bieber does it, it makes headlines? That's not right. I would say it's wasting space on the website. I would rather be more educated on what's happening in the world right now, instead of being stuck inside the shallow, superficial world of celebrities. On the other hand, some people find it entertaining and funny to hear all about the whereabouts of celebrities. Is it necessary for celebrity news to be all over the media?

2 comments:

  1. Elizabeth,
    After reading this blog post, all I could do was laugh. I feel strongly that news like this should not be making headlines on sites like msnbc, cnn or new york times. Rather, it has a place on sites like tmz, perez hilton, and access hollywood. I feel like there needs to be more separation between celebrity news, and national news. I usually don't go on msnbc in search of learning about how justin bieber threw a water ballon!! Frankly, I am quite surprised that msnbc published a story on that. I agree with you, it doesn't seem story worthy.

    Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with Sarah. The news really perplexes me when they give the same amount of coverage to a story like the Justin Bieber water balloon incident and an international conflict or tragedy. This goes back to the fact of the media reporting stories for people's entertainment, focusing on more trivial gossip than interesting stories.

    ReplyDelete