Monday, October 25, 2010

Meta-Post

After reviewing my previous blogs, I have come across many areas that I could improve, and areas that I feel I have improved on. I noticed that I tend to stick with writing about what we discuss in class, but in entries like "GLBT Supporters" and "What Do People Remember You By?" I stray from the curriculum and just write my thoughts on an idea I had that week. However, I do not think this is a bad thing. I think it's good to be able to just write my own individual thoughts on anything I want every once in awhile. I also noticed that my blogs tend to mention or make political figures and standpoints the subject of my post. For example, in "Lies," I focus the majority of my entry on dishonest politicians like Rod Blagojevich. This is interesting, because I do not think of myself as someone who thinks about political actions very often, or someone who even cares that much.
I could also be clearer and more specific in some of my posts. In "Do We Care About Justin Bieber?," I cite an article about celebrity Justin Bieber throwing a water balloon at a state trooper. I then proceed to say, "Kids where I live do stuff like this all the time. Now, if Justin Bieber does it, it makes headlines?" These sentences are very vague as to what Justin Bieber did specifically. The words "it" and "stuff" definitely set bells off in my head as being hazy.
I have also, in my late entries, failed to add other web addresses or research to my ideas. I'm prone to just stating my opinion on a subject and giving examples without adding professional analysis to back up my views. In my post "GLBT Supporters," I merely state my opinion and did no back-up research to support it. There are no hyperlinks to other websites with  evidence supporting my claim.
I believe my best post so far has been "Racial Resentment." It includes a rare personal experience, other studies that validate my claim, and, in my opinion, causes the reader to think about the issue at hand. It ends with a question that encourages the reader to keep thinking after they are done reading.


My Best Post: Racial Resentment

No comments:

Post a Comment