Thursday, January 6, 2011

Advancing Technology

It's exciting for us too see changes in technology over the years. IPads, digital cameras, GPS systems and more constantly give us luxuries that past generations only dreamed about. Living with all of these new inventions has been an adventure, and it has been so interesting to remember the days where we had to wait for film to develop, or wait to receive a letter. However, the next generation will not even be slightly familiar with the technology of our youth. I came across an article on Yahoo! about what our children will never know. Everything from wires to forgotten friends is expressed in the article and will be foreign concepts to our children. It's just interesting how technology is moving so fast, soon the internet won't be fast enough for us, and we will need something to replace it. What is the demand that keeps us needing faster connections? Will progressions in certain technologies ever come to a halt?

3 comments:

  1. Elizabeth- I agree that the rate of progression in technology seems unbelievable. In response to your question, I don't think that their is an end point in the evolution of technology. It seems that there will always be things to strive towards. In my chem class, my teacher, who is also a grandmother was complaining that she cannot type well. She further predicted that she finds typeing a worthless skill to possess because with the century we will be controlling everything with our eyes. I found this to be rather ridiculous, but emphasizes your point, technology is changing rapidly from one generation to the other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth and Carolyn I agree that the rate of technology progressing is incredible. I was talking about something similar to this with my grandma over winter break. She was telling me that she expects each of her grandkids to send her a thank-you note in the mail for our holiday presents. When I asked her if I could e-mail it to her, she said it defeated the purpose. She said that being able to write a letter is starting to become a lost art. She says that a persons handwriting can tell you so much about a person, and with technology, that level of personality can't be portrayed. People always want faster, but the question is if there is such thing as too fast? Maybe taking the time to write a letter is what matters. I read a book recently called "Matched" by Ally Condie and the book takes place in the future. It is a typical view of a utopian future with a character who choses to rebel, similar to "The Giver." In "Matched" the character doesn't know how to write. She only has a tablet with a keyboard. Another character is later introduced and begins to teach her the art of writing using your hands rather than electronics. It was really interesting and I think relevant to what you're saying about technology.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This world has been progressing so fast. It's so surprising how short the Internet has been around. My parents have spent over half of their lives without it. Whenever people ask me a question I don't know, my response is, "Google it." I don't ever think technological advancements will ever come to a halt, because I think there will always be ways to better things that already function perfectly fine.

    ReplyDelete